Thursday 5 May 2011

Music Magazine: Initial Designs

These are my rough plans for the layout of my magazine (click to enlarge any of the images):

Front cover:









When thinking about the genre of music magazine I want to create, I imagine the style and layout of the magazine to make a statement, especially on the front cover - to catch the reader's attention and set it apart from the other magazines. My questionnaire results found that this is what potential readers want and are attracted to so I hope that my large, statement headers will do so. As the layout of my front cover is left aligned, I plan to take photos that are mainly right-aligned to create balance. As you can see written on my plan, my initial idea was to have the model leaning against a wall or tree which could create a laid-back or 'edgy' image of the artist depending on how I frame, manipulate or angle the shot.
I plan to have the masthead in a very distinctive font to create a recognisable style for the magazine and to have the main header, the pull quote, in a very bold and heavy sans serif font to create as much impact as possible. Other fonts, in the subtitles/date/issue number, will be a different sans serif font to create variety whilst still making sure that all the text is easily readable.

Contents page:
I hope that by using the diagonal on this page, the 'edgy' feel desired will be created because it is an unconventional technique. This will also create a unique feel to the magazine and act as one of the signature features I planned to create.
For the contents page, I want to have a variation of fonts - bold, impactful ones for headers and easy-to-read sans-serif ones for the smaller texts. The header fonts I decide to use should reflect the attitudes and values of this publication as this is what will draw the eye and give a first impression of the magazine.

Double page spread:
I plan to use a conventional layout for my double-page-spread in order to fit the content I wish to include in easily. This will allow me to write more for my editorial and therefore be better quality. From my questionnaire, I learnt that I needed to include fairly indepth information about the music itself, rather than the artist and 'gossipy' style information so this what I will need to concentrate on here. Despite the conventional style, I plan to take photographs that represent the individuality of the artist and magazine. I also plan to use statement fonts for the headings.

Here is my initial house style plan, which I feel represents the target reader's attitude and expectations of this type of magazine:

  • I chose the fonts because they have an 'edgy' style that sets them apart from other magazines- I learnt through my questionnaire that readers want this
  • I added courier and arial because there needs to be an easy-to-read font for the main text to make accessible to the reader. 
  • In terms of the colour scheme, I thought that the bright colours would create a striking effect against the black and white so would again appeal to the wants of the audience for its design to stand out against other magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment